≡ Menu

Salt Water Safety

Copy-of-Untitled-56-copy Salt Water Safety

A day at the beach can be a fun and healthy activity for dogs. Running around, playing fetch, and other activities can make our dogs very thirsty which may tempt them to drink from the sea. However, salt water can be dangerous for our fur babies.

What happens if dogs drinks salt water?
When a dog drinks salt water, the excess salt draws water from the blood into the intestines. Depending on the amount of salt water ingested, this will lead to diarrhea, vomiting, and dehydration. Too much salt can also result in seizures, loss of brain cells, and kidney injury. If a large quantity of salt water is consumed, this could result in toxic sodium levels, a condition that has a 50% mortality rate. 

Signs of Salt Water Poisoning 
Ingesting too much salt water can result in “beach diarrhea”, vomiting, and dehydration. Your dog may appear dizzy, listless, or lethargic. 

Prevention
Make sure you have loads of water readily available for your pooch. A dog who has had plenty of water is less likely to use the ocean as a water fountain. Have your pup take breaks every 15 minutes or so and offer them fresh water. In addition to reducing the temptation to drink from the sea, frequent hydration will help their body rid itself of excess salt. 

If you believe your dog has consumed a dangerous amount of salt water, take them to your veterinarian as soon as possible. Doing so gives you the greatest chance of restoring your pet’s electrolytes and water balance to normal levels.  

Check out our blog for more fur baby-focused articles!

Next post:

Previous post:

Web Development: StudioSR, LLC
Privacy Statement