≡ Menu

Spring Safety

pexels-photo-669015-1 Spring Safety

Protect your pets this Spring

The sun is shining and the great outdoors are calling! However, buzzing bees, poisonous plants, and seasonal allergies can really dampen the fun. Read the tips below to find out how to protect your pets this Spring. 

Spring flowers bring May flowers…and potential pet health risks.

The weather is warming up and most of us are prettying up our patios and yards to get ready for lovely afternoons outdoors with our friends, family and fur babies. As there are several plant and flower varieties that are poisonous to pets, be sure to either research the plants yourself or consult your local greenhouse. Common Spring varieties to avoid include lilies, daffodils and azaleas.

Do away with slimy slugs the natural way.

Slugs and snails can wreak havoc on our gardens so getting rid of them makes sense. Avoid using pellets and pesticides containing the toxic compound, Metaldehyde, which is poisonous to pets. Instead, try natural remedies such as adding seaweed or coffee grounds to your garden.

Dealing with buzzing biters.

Dogs and cats have no idea that the little buzzing thing they’re chasing can really do a number on them. As with people, wasps and bee stings are generally non-threatening unless your pet is allergic to them. Signs of an allergic reaction include swelling, difficulty breathing and distress. If there are no signs of an allergy, bee stings can be easily treated by removing the stinger and then bathing the area with a mixture of one teaspoon of baking soda and 300ml of warm water. Wasp stings can be soothed by bathing the area with lemon juice.

The joy of seasonal allergies.

Just like people, our pets can develop seasonal allergies to grass, pollen, etc. If afflicted with allergies, pets will show signs such as increased scratching or chewing, watery eyes, coughing, sneezing, and an overall inability to get comfy. As these behaviors can lead to skin issues such as scrapes and sores, fur loss, or bacterial and yeast infections, it’s important to make an initial visit to your vet to get a proper diagnosis. Your vet will help determine the best course of treatment to make your fuzzy buddy feel better.

For more great tips for your pets, visit our blog

Next post:

Previous post:

Web Development: StudioSR, LLC
Privacy Statement