Don’t give in to persuasive purrs and puppy dog eyes this Thanksgiving! Many of the holiday treats we love can cause health problems for our pets if they eat them. Here are some tips to keep your pets safe this Thanksgiving:
Don’t leave wine glasses at snout or tail level. Alcohol is a real problem for pets, and overactive tails could also knock over glasses, resulting in injuries from broken glass.
Keep cut flowers and centerpieces out of paw’s reach. Many of the most beautiful plants—such as lilies and mistletoe—are quite poisonous to pets. Ribbons, strings, and sticks are a danger as cats love to play with them and if ingested, they can become caught in the intestinal tract. Potpourri also contains herbs and oils that can be toxic.
Careful with the turkey & trimmings! Turkey skin, gravy, and drippings are all high in fat and can cause pancreatitis in pets. Bones are a choking hazard, as is the tasty twine you used to secure your bird. If your stuffing contains raisins, onion, garlic, nutmeg, nuts, butter, or mushrooms, it’s a no-no for fido – and felines, too.
You’re probably already aware that chocolate—especially dark and baking chocolate—can be toxic to pets, but it should be paws off for other sweets too, such as candied yams and bread, cake, and cookie dough.
If you need more info or have questions about keeping your pet safe and healthy during the holiday, please feel free to contact us at a location near you.